A long pending wish, to make wine at home, has come beautifully true...!!!
1 kg red grapes
1 kg sugar (refer notes)
1.5 L boiled and cooled water
1 tsp yeast
1 tbs wheat kernels
1 Cinnamon stick (optional)
1 Egg White(Optional)
- Wash the grapes well and pat dry. Take a big porcelain or glass jar, big enough to hold all the above.Put the grapes into the Jar and crush it.
- Add the yeast to 2 tablespoon of warm water and a little sugar and let it froth.Add this to the grapes along with the wheat kernels and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and close the Jar and keep it in a dark place.
- Stir the mixture everyday for 21 days.
- After 21 days, filter the wine(muslin cloth can be used for filtering) and let it stand for another 21 days with out with stirring it. You will get clear wine in about 2-3 days after filtering it leaving behind the sediments.
1. The quantity of sugar can be adjusted (reduced) based on the sweetness of the grapes and to suite your own taste.I have used less than 800g.
2. Sugar need not be added fully in the beginning itself, add half in the beginning and the rest while filtering the wine when it can be tasted.
3. Use a wooden spoon to stir the wine and try to do it at the same time everyday (it is ok if you forget to stir it everyday, I forget it quite often!).