For dry roasting
Dried Red Chilies - 5 to 6 or as per spice level
Cinnamon Stick - 1
Cloves - 4 to 5
Pepper - 4 to 5 or as per spice level
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds- 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
1/2 Kg Chicken
Shallots - 1 cup sliced
Tomato - 2
Curry leaves - 8 to 10
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Yogurt - 3 to 4 tbsp
Lime Juice - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken in yogurt, lime juice, salt and turmeric powder and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Dry roast the ingredients listed under 'for dry roasting'.
- Grind the dry roasted ingredients well.
- Chop the tomato roughly and blend it into a smooth puree in a blender.
- Heat a heavy bottom vessel and add the oil into it.
- Add the curry leaves and sliced shallots to this.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and salt and saute till golden brown.
- Add the tomato puree to this, close the lid and simmer in low heat for 2-3 mins.
- Add the dry roasted ingredients into the above mixture and stir well.
- Add the marinated chicken, mix well and cover and cook in medium heat.
- Stir occasionally to ensure that it doesn't get burnt, do not add water for cooking.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook till the masala is absorbed and it becomes dry and oil starts separating.
- Serve with rice or chapati.