One good thing about Avial is that you can use whatever vegetable is available in your kitchen. Most of them will go well in Avial.
Raw banana(Paccha Ethakkai)
Yam(Chena) - I don't use it but my mom does :)A balanced mixture of all the above veggies, cut into long pieces (unlike how you do it for sambhar) - 3 cups
Yogurt – ¼ cup
Coconut – 1 to 1.5 cup
Green chillies Slit – 2 to 3 or as per your taste
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Shallots (Kunjulli) sliced – 6 nos
Curry leaves – A few
Salt – As reqd
Coconut oil – 4 tbsp
- Chop all the vegetables in medium length and cook it along with the green chillies with little bit water and salt.
- In a mixer coarsely grind grated coconut , cumin powder (or seeds will also do) , turmeric powder ,2 or 3 curry leaves.
- Add this to the veggies, cover and cook.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the yogurt to the cooked vegetables and combine well. Simmer for a minute and remove from fire. You can avoid adding yogurt if you don't want to. My mom does not add yogurt :). Some people add raw tomatoes to get a sour taste or raw mango.
- Drizzle a table spoon of coconut oil and some curry leaves and serve warm.
- Alternatively heat the coconut oil in a pan, add the curry leaves, mustard and the shallots and add to the avial.
- Serve with rice.