Pumpkin/Mathanga– 1 cup
Red peas (vanpayar) or green beans (cherupayaru) – 1/2 cup
Grated coconut – 1 cup (half for garnishing)
Garlic – 2 small cloves
Black pepper corns – 5-6
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Dry red chillies – 4-5
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprig
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Pressure cook the vanpayar/cheru payar till done. Set aside.
- In another vessel cook the pumpkin with salt, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Use enough water to cook the pumpkin. You can pressure cook it for 1-2 whistles but have to be careful not to overcook it.
- Grind 1/2 cup coconut, garlic, black pepper corns and cumin seeds into a paste (not too fine) adding water if needed.
- Add the ground paste and the cooked payar to the cooked pumpkin and mix well. Check for salt.Cook till we have a semi gravy consistency, not too watery, not too dry.
- In a frying pan heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, add the dry red chillies, curry leaves and the remaining coconut. Roast the coconut till it turns brown.
- Add this roasted coconut to the cooked pumkin.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice.