Yummy fiery chicken which my dear hubby made (yes he cooks!). It was really awesome, very spicy like the
Andhra chicken. It's been a while since he made this, but never got to put the recipe in here. Today he has kindly agreed to share his secret recipe ;) and I am all set to share it with you all (yes, I didn't know it until I started writing this here :))
1 kg chicken
3 tomatoes (Pureed)
Ginger & Garlic Paste - 3 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 4 tsps or based on the spice level
Salt to taste
2 tsp cooking oil - for marinating chicken
3 tbsps cooking oil - for cooking
Curry leaves - 8 to 10
5 Green chilies (slit)
6 dry chilly
2 medium onions
handfull of shallots
For the masala
6 pepper corns
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp of coriander seeds
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tbsp cashew nuts (roasted with 1/4 tsp of oil)
- Marinate chicken with tomato puree, ginger & garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder, 2 tsp of oil. Set it aside for about 30 mins.
- Cook the chicken with 1 cup of water till all the water evaporates and the chicken pieces turn soft, set aside
- On low flame roast the masala ingredients (except cashews) till the flavors come out. (about 3 mins). Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Grind to a fine powder along with roasted cashews.
- Heat 3 tbsps of oil in a kadai, throw in the curry leaves, green chillies and dry red chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped/sliced onions and fry till the onions turn soft golden brown.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces, ground masala powder and adjust salt, chilli powderand fry on medium heat for about 10 mins. Reduce the flame to medium.
Voila the fiery chicken is ready, goes well with Rice