The sponge cake sure was very light with his recipe, lot less butter than the usual sponge cake we make. But it goes well with the cream and the berries. We had some fresh raspberry, blueberry, strawberry and cranberry which went into this layer cake. We used the fresh cranberry to make the cranberry sauce. I will post the recipe for the same soon.
Ingredients250g golden caster sugar
250g plain flour
For the filling
300 ml double cream, whipped
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
Mixed berries - Raspberry, blueberry, strawberry
1 cup cranberry sauce (Recipe here)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
- Put the sugar and eggs in a heatproof bowl and place it over a pan of simmering water.
- Beat it until hot then remove from the heat. Continue to beat for another 10 minutes using an electric whisk or until the mixture doubles in volume.
- Melt the butter until it starts to turn golden then with the whisk running add the melted butter into the egg mixture.
- Sieve in the flour and fold very gently into the mixture with a metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture into 2 portions and bake each portion for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes then turn out on a wire rack to cool.
- Beat the cream with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Carefully slice off the top golden crust from each cake. Cut the sponges in half horizontally to make 4 layers (I have cut only one portion hence only 3 layers).
- Place the bottom layer on a cake stand or serving plate and spread with a layer of whipped cream. Layer some berries on top, slicing larger ones.
- Then place the second sponge on top.Cover with cream and berries.
- Continue this until the final layer.
- On top of the final layer of sponge, spread the cranberry sauce.
- Enjoy the yummy cake with the goodness of berries!!
- Cutting the cake with a cake slicer will give an even layer. I have used a knife to layer the cake.
- I have used less (300 ml) cream than given in the original recipe (500 ml).