Bechamel Sauce or White Sauce is one of the classic French sauces and is used very commonly in French Cuisine. It is prepared using a mixture of butter and flour (the French call it Roux) and is cooked in milk.
1 litre milk
100 g butter
100 g plain flour
salt to taste
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottom saucepan in medium heat. Do not let it brown or else the taste and color of the sauce will change.
- After the butter is melted completely, stir in the flour.
- Cook the mixture in medium heat for 6-8 mins until it turns into a golden color. Do not let the mixture turn to a brown color.
- Add little bit of milk and stir well to loosen the mixture.
- Pour the remaining milk and keep stirring continuously using a wooden ladle until the mixture thickens. You will get a smooth ,glossy, creamy sauce.
- Add a generous pinch of salt and little bit of grated nutmeg
- Cook in low heat for another 5 mins stirring occasionally and turn off the heat.
Use this delicious sauce to make your favorite dishes. We used it for making lasagne. It could also be used as a base for souffle, pie etc.