I always thought Lasagne was packed with cheese in every layer but I was wrong! Try it out people and decide for yourself :).
Bechamel Sauce (White Sauce) - Recipe here
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper
Cheese (I have used a mix of Parmesan, cheddar and mozzarella)
Bolognese sauce - ingredients are given below
500g minced beef
2 tsp dried Oregano
a small bunch of fresh basil or dried basil
1 tsp dried rosemary
2 cloves of garlic
2 celery sticks
1 small carrot
- Marinate the minced beef with the ingredients under the label 'To marinate'. Add freshly ground pepper and salt to taste and keep aside.
- Puree the tomato along with the garlic. Keep aside.
- In a chopper, chop the ingredients under the label 'To chop' or you can cut it using a knife into small uniform cubes.
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and saute the chopped onion, carrot and celery sticks with a little salt in medium heat.
- Saute for around 15 mins or until the veggies are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the marinated beef to the pan and mix well. Cook covered for about 10 mins. Water will start coming out from the beef hence additional water is not required.
- Take the lid off and add the tomato puree, salt and pepper and cook covered for another 20 mins stirring occasionally.
- Take the lid off and cook for another 30 mins stirring occasionally making sure that the sauce doesn't dry up. Add a little water if you think its drying out. Switch off the stove and keep the Bolognese sauce aside.
- Take an oven proof dish and grease it with olive oil.
- Spread the Bolognese sauce in the dish. Spoon in a layer of white sauce.
- Follow with a layer of lasagne sheets. Spoon another layer of Bolognese and white sauce and followed by a layer of lasagne sheets.
- Finish with a layer of bolognese sauce and white sauce. Sprinkle the cheese over the top layer.
- Cover the dish with an aluminium foil and bake in oven at 180 C for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins, remove the foil and bake it for another 20 mins until it starts bubbling and the top layer is a nice golden color.
- Follow the instructions on the lasagne pack for cooking it. The one we used did not require any pre cooking. If the lasagne sheets need to be cooked, then bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagne sheets in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain lasagne, and rinse with cold water.
- You could add cheese in each layer, we didn't want it to be too heavy hence added it only on the top layer.
- You could try the recipe with chicken or veggies.
- You can do away with the cheese also.