There are slight variations to the quantity of the ingredients given here from the original recipe.
1/2 kg Chicken - cut into medium size pieces
1/2 kg Basmati Rice or Jeera rice
3 onions- sliced
6 green chilies - slit
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tomatoes -chopped
2 tbsp coriander powder
2 tbsp chilly powder
1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp garam masala
Curry leaves - 2 stalks
1/4 cup coriander leaves - chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
1 stick cinnamon
1/4 cup shallots - thinly sliced
Salt to taste
- In a pan heat a little oil and saute the onions.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir well. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir well, the paste should coat the chicken completely.
- Heat oil in another big pan. Saute the sliced shallots, curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves.
- Add half tsp turmeric powder to this and add the rice. Fry for 5 mins.
- Add the chicken masala to the rice and mix well.
- Add enough water (1.5 cup water for 1 cup rice) and salt to taste and cook (If using pressure cooker, cook until 1 whistle and switch off the flame).
- Add garam masala, lime juice and coriander leaves to the cooked rice and mix well.
- Keep closed for 5 mins.
- Serve with raitha.